Zimbabwe






On Monday afternoon, we returned home from a two week trip to the orphanage in Harare. I'm not sure what order the pictures will appear in on the actual site, but somewhere on the page you should see Deanna (Baasch) painting vigorously--a frequent occupation for both of us--and Deanna crouched over "World's View," a hike we took the first Sabbath.
One of the first tasks on our list was to clean and organize the kitchen and several closets in the orphanage home. The picture shows a friendly version of what we really dealt with...behind the scenes were many unwelcome sights--rat droppings being chief among them. Painting clinic doors became our next focus. Oil-based paint with a precious paint thinner supply was tricky at times, especially since we had multiple colors to use.
Some of you viewers probably recognize Domboshava--the place of "big rocks." That was our second Sabbath's destination--a little more in reach than our first hike at World's View. (We learned our lesson after running out of diesel on that trip; a story of its own.)
Hours before we left, Grandpa took us to one of the "luxury" villages nearby. It's hard to imagine that just further down the road is a village crammed with 6 ft. y 6 ft. huts draped with makeshift plastic roofs.
Now life has returned to normal...I'm not ready for it! Both mom and I started classes on Tuesday after our 23 hour journey home. We were welcomed by zero degree weather and a few inches of crunchy snow.


8 Comments:
Awesome! Great pictures, Julie! Sounds like you guys had a great time, as is usual in Zimbabwe!
I didn't see the pic of cleaning out the closet that you mentioned, tho. (unless you were cleaning out dippers and wire whisks :)
By the way, I listened to that minidisc, and it is the right one. Do you just want the baptisim on cd, or do you want me to put the music on there too? (sounds like an old recording of the drexlers or something...)
lol yeah, it does sound rather bad, doesn't it!!
Could you just start with whatever Uncle Ken says, and then all the music? (regardless, I suppose)
Thanks a lot!
Thanks for the update on New Start. I wish I'd been able to go. Maybe next time....
How did Uncle Ted do?
Where are you going to college next fall?
you're welcome.
Uncle Ted was great to have along, and, of course, was very helpful with carpentry work. He represented the Howes very well! Yes, next time you and Petra will have to come!!
College next year??? At the moment it's between Bastyr Univ. and the Arise program.
It is great to see some pictures of Newstart. Happy new semester!
Hey Julie, are you and your mom still planning to come down to SAU? or is that not an option anymore?
Yes, Southern is still an option.
Clueless as I seem to be, I don't know when, or if, we'll make a visit. Maybe I'll just attend by faith!...
thats ok, as you well know, I didn't make the final decision for my college career till the last moment - after delaying for a year!
But know that there are people down here that would be happy to have you down here, if that weighs into your considerations. :)
But by all means, do what you feel God is leading you to do!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home