
Only two flips on this time: Dad, Grace Diaz and I; and Paul, Petra and Dan McGrath. The river was deadly low with rocks jutting out everywhere. But other than constantly crashing into rocks and dumping, the day was very enjoyable...when we let our eyes off their rock-watch. We saw a bald eagle, beaver homes, and a number of interesting birds. Just as the sun set, we finished the last set of rapids and hauled the canoes on shore. While waiting for the other cars, we gathered around a Howe-lit fire and munched on trail mix between singing. It's good to be with friends.
7 Comments:
Great pictures! I like the "Old Town" at the end. :) I'm glad your camera seems to have survived it's dunking! I'd like to see the rest of the pics sometime, I know you took quite a few :)
actually, my camera didn't survive the dunk...It won't turn on anymore. But I'm taking it to Circuit city tomorrow to hopefully be replaced.
awesome pictures.
thanks to the abc shell of the OldTown "discovery", Johonns canoe isn't much worse for the wear after grinding over that magnificent ledge drop!
Do you think you'll get another Canon camera?
I don't know...I sent it in last week to Canon Factory Service. Hope they do something!
What's an abc shell?
As I frequently do, I have discovered that I opened my mouth and revealed my ingorance!
When faced with your question, I looked up the actual information on old town's website and found the following.
What I called "abc" is actually ABS, or Royalex. It is layered like this:
1:Vinyl skin
2:ABS substrates
3:core material
4:ABS substrates
5:Vinyl Skin.
This is supposedly what makes ABS shells, or Royalex such tough stuff. Unfortunately, I made another error, because now you know so much about ABS, I will confess that a little research reveals that the discovery is actually not made up of ABS or Royalex.
The Discovery is made of something calle "SuperLink3". Which is basically a sandwich of closed cell foam surrounded on both sides by high density polyethylene....
which makes it a bit heavier than the tripper and the Penob. :)
aha...I didn't realize that a comments had been added here.
Thanks for the thorough explanation, John. I do recall now seeing similar info on that lovely orange sticker you allowed me to peel away. (;
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home