Thursday, January 24, 2008

Genetics Lab


This is Wednesday at genetics lab. This week we began
a series of experiments on Drosophila. I'm not exactly sure
what we're doing yet, and am currently studying. For now, I know
that we separated two types--wild and white eyed into two
bottles with some food so they'll happily create some
eggs for us to hatch and manipulate. An update later.


...Through the microscope.
Luke, the guy in the top picture, brings his camera
to every lab to prevent him from drawing observations.
He is angry I "copied" his idea.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jonas said...

That's awesome! We had 4 chapters of Genetics last semester, but I have "genetics" next year. I'm afraid your far ahead, but in case you want to do a little recreational problem-solving...

Vermillion eye color in Drosophila is an X-linked recessive trait. What phenotypes do you expect from a cross between a vermilion female and wild-type male?

(Lifted from one of my old labs ;)

4:56 AM  
Blogger joar andrĂ© said...

i must admit i'm glad i have no such classes in my schedule!! and i'm glad that others enjoy stuff like that...

8:02 AM  
Blogger Chopsticks on Oboe said...

Watch out Julie! As John said we studied a bit of drosophila last semester, and the thing that I can remember is a wacky picture of a fruit fly with legs where the antenna should be!
Best wishes for this semester! Keep your biology pals up to day with your doings and happenings!

6:40 PM  
Blogger Julianne said...

joar: ...not all parts are enjoyable, but hopefully the end goal will make it all worth it. (and genetics is far better than statistics!)

martina: hmmm. sounds like a very strange fly!
good to hear from you!

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home