Monday, January 21, 2008

Snow "Camping"




I always envisioned my first camping experience in the snow to involve a tent--at least.
But, no. On Friday night, I was invited last-minute on a night in the snow--tentless. We were at an orchestra prayer fellowship at the Delafield's when a guy named "JD" (spelling?) asked if Anita (Naomi's niece) wanted to sleep outside that night. She was game. At that point, I was still glad I wasn't the one asked, rather enjoying the thought of an early, cozy and warm night in my bed. Later, Anita faced me and said: "Do you have any plans for tonight?" Knowing what she would be asking, I ran through my brain to see if I could muster an excuse. "uhh..no, I guess."
"How would you like to spend the night outside tonight then?"
Hours later, we were packed like mummies under an insufficiently sized tarp. I was in the middle and suffered no pain. In fact, with a down quilt inside my down sleeping bag, I was thoroughly warm and comfortable. The added fresh air combined to make it a better situation than my bedroom. (Though last night we had our window wide open, which my roommate said caused her to get sick.)
Now I must go to biology lab.

4 Comments:

Blogger The View from Great Island said...

I am sure the fresh air was wonderful in freshness and fragrance, and very thankful that you were warm, but what of your feet the next morning? Were those your shoes sitting in the snow? It does look beautiful!

3:50 PM  
Blogger Julianne said...

the snow was light, dry and powdery, so was easily shaken from, yes, my shoes. also, all we had to do was drive up the hill to the dorm...not far to "civilization"

it was a pleasant escape!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Gerrans said...

Thats awesome! I wish it would snow here so I could go out and "camp" in it! :D
actually it probably wouldn't work quite so well, since snow here tends to be rather more dampish...

btw, that picture taken thru the microscope is cool! :)

9:04 PM  
Blogger Julianne said...

hey, what does btw mean?

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home